January 16, 2012

Gluten-free Burma - BAGAN

If you ever dreamed of being Indiana Jones, then Bagan is for you. Thousands of ancient temples that you can explore - and by explore I mean crawl through pitch black narrow passageways until you come out on top of the temple to enjoy the breathtaking view across the Bagan plains. Ride a bicycle along dusty trails at your own pace or relax in a horse cart with a guide. Don't miss both a sunset and a sunrise over the temple-strewn plain. 


To be honest, I don't know which I loved more . . . the temples or the food. The taste and smell of AROMA (2) Indian Restaurant still lingers in my mind. I would go back there in a heartbeat. In addition to being Lonely Planet's top choice, it must have the best gluten-free food in the entire country of Myanmar. A huge menu of authentic Indian dishes will ensure you don't tire of this restaurant even if you go there for every meal (like I did). Talk to the owner directly or his son to find out which options are gluten-free (which are almost all of them . . . other than the naan of course!) 

They don't use any MSG or animal fats. They pride themselves in their 100% satisfaction guarantee. The portions are generous and they will happily pack you food to go or let you order something in advance to have ready for pick-up before that bike ride to watch the sunset. When I realized the horse cart was a bit too rocky to eat on, I instead enjoyed their kebabs atop an ancient temple overlooking the river and Bagan plains - a breath-taking site for a picnic. The candlelit tables out under the night sky also make is a romantic spot to end the day. Anyway, go to Bagan for the temples AND for Bagan's gluten-free food!

Aroma (2) Indian Restaurant
Yarkinnthar Hotel Road
Bagan-Nyaung Oo,
Tel: 09-2042630
 

PLACES TO STAY AWAY FROM IN BAGAN:

The Beach Bagan - Restaurant and Bar
This place is where the huge tour groups go. It's a nice view of the river and you'll have the place to yourself if you go in the afternoon. But the menu is way overpriced. I tried a strawberry shake and what they brought me was room temperature milk with maybe one strawberry mixed in. I asked them to put in some ice, but let's face it, strawberry milk with ice is not that appetizing. Better to just order a Coke. Or not go at all.

The Moon - Vegetarian Restaurant
I had high hopes for this restaurant. The atmosphere is really nice and it's located way out in Old Bagan, so it would make a nice midday stop if you hadn't packed a lunch. Their very health conscious menu also led me to believe they would be able to help me find some gluten-free choices. However, it seemed they didn't understand my questions, would often just answer with what they thought I wanted to hear, and in the end, the food they brought me was not gluten-free, so my husband had to eat it and I went hungry. It seems like if whoever helped develop this restaurant in the first place came back for a visit and did a little allergy education, it has great potential to be a very gluten-free friendly place in Bagan.

Other Myanmar Cities:

Gluten-free YANGON
INLE LAKE

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the helpful advice. I am traveling to Myanmar next week for the Songkran holiday and am excited, but also worried about the gluten free issue!

    ReplyDelete